
Saturdays in the Fall are a special time in the South, and especially in Mississippi. People by the tens of thousands converge on a single lot of trees known to all Ole Miss faithful only as "The Grove". Vaught-Hemmingway stadium seats just over sixty thousand, but countless more attend the before and after party that will never even see the team on the field. In fact, many will come only to enjoy the atmosphere of game day amongst all the tents covered with food that proud chefs will exclaim "you'd slap your Mama" to get to. Young men in coats and ties escorting young women in their best dresses, all mixed in with those dressed more casually in Red and Blue. It's an experience where you can't lose, no matter what the scoreboard says. THAT is a part of my South, my University and my Ole Miss, and something I hope my son will always be a part of . . .
Last Saturday was the first home game for Ole Miss and Sam's first in what I hope will be hundreds of great trips to The Grove in the Fall. Uncle Allen and Aunt Mitzi generously invited us to stay at their condo in Oxford and tailgate at their tent. Everyone there treated us as if we had been tailgating with them for years. It couldn't have been a better trip! Although there were times when it was pretty hot and we had to push a stroller about ten miles from where we parked to get to the tent, it didn't rain a drop during the afternoon and the Rebs put up 52 points (even if it was on Southeast Louisiana). We got to see lots of friends and lots of family that we haven't seen for a while. Hopefully it won't be long before we can do it all again. Here are a few pics from that day and from today as we got ready to watch the Rebels. We hate they lost tonight, but eagerly await the next time we can see them play and be in The Grove.
Hotty Toddy!!!










-Mickey
4 comments:
Oh they are so good ( the blogging too). He's probably the cutest little Rebel I have seen in a while. Although, I think we could have "airbrushed" Aunt HeHe's arm a little bit.....I LOVE the pictures. thanks for sharing!!!!
Love always -
Aunt HeHe (I guess)
I WONDER IF YOU GUYS REALIZE JUST HOW BIG MR. sAM IS GETTIN! hE IS JUST BEAUTIFUL AND HAS A SMILE THAT MAKES YOUR FACE LITE UP! tKS FOR SHARING HIM WITH US AND LOVE THE GROVE PICTURES -- AS HEATHER SAID -- GLAD TO SEE ONE rebel WITH A SMILE TODAY!
The pictures were great and so were the sentiments you expressed so well.
Thankyou for sharing your great weekend.
Love Gamma
I hope that Sam enjoyed the ballgame more than the rest of his family. I am so sorry that I was selfish about your comming this weekend. I just wanted to have more time to spend with you all
Post a Comment