November 18, 2008

The Name Game!

We have a Name Game going on the Blog! As we did with Lucy, once we got names narrowed down to 2 or 3, we just have had a hard time choosing one. In Lucy's case, we left it up to God. (Ok, well, we actually drew her name out of a boot with 3 names in it and Lucy is what came up. Maybe we drew "best 2 out of 3" until Lucy came up. Ha Ha)

So, this time we decided that since so many people have been involved in prayer and concern for this baby, then we want y'all to weigh in on the final 3 names we have. I will list them with the reasons why we chose each particular name. After reading each email me your favorite choice. Friday I will post the results, and his name, which may or may not be the same. Here goes, in no particular order:

1. Jack Douglas Mallette - ("Jack Douglas") Jack is for Beckyanne's maternal grandfather, Jack Randolph. Douglas is for my paternal grandfather Robert Douglas Mallette. Douglas is also a family name on the Still side of the family for one of Jimmy's cousins who was killed at a young age by a drunk driver.

2. Samuel Ayden Mallette - ("Sam") Samuel means "Name of God","Heard by God" or "Requested of God". Samuel was the son of Hannah. Hannah had been unable to conceive for many years and went to the tabernacle and prayed to God for a child and in return she would give this child to the the priests to be in the service of God. Eli, the high priest, saw Hannah praying and saw her lips moving, but heard no sound. Eli thinking she was drunk, inquired of Hannah and she told Eli of her plea to God for a son, explaining that if God would do this she would give this son to be in God's service for his entire life. Eli prayed that her request would be granted and Hannah was blessed with a child - Samuel.

True to her promise to God, Hannah delivered Samuel to Eli to be raised with the priests at Shiloh proclaiming that Samuel would be the Lord's for his whole life! Samuel was one of the greatest prophets of the Old Testament. Samuel anointed Saul and David as Kings of Israel. The curse of infertility on Hannah was broken and she went on to bear three more sons and two daughters.

This child, just like Lucy, has been the product of prayer to God. Only by his allowance is this child possible. We thought Samuel was a great possibility for his name. Perhaps not in the same way as Hannah, we will give this child to the Lord for His will to be done. Please read the story of Hannah's prayer in 1Samuel, chapter 1, and her honoring her promise to God for that gift in 1Samuel, chapter 2.

Aden is simply a name we both like to now become a family name for our children. We used it, in part, because it would make his initials S.A.M. which would also be what we call him, "Sam". We considered "Samuel Manning Mallette" as well.

3. William Webb Mallette - ("Webb") William, which is, of course, my name - "William Michael Mallette". I was named for my mother's father, William Leon Smith. Webb is a family surname on my mother's side of the family from my Great Grandma Webb.

ALL of these names have special meaning to us, as do many others that did not make the final cut. We have prayed over these choices and will continue to do that until we decide, which we feel comfortable will be this week. Y'all tell us what is your favorite of the three. Please vote for ONE name only and email that choice to my email address:




We will post the results of this fun poll and the choice we have made for the name on Friday of this week, so vote soon!


There is another "New" post with pictures below this one too. Check it out!

-Mickey

6 comments:

Gamma said...

I love all 3 names, but I will choose Jack Douglas because I like double names, but I certainly will not be upset with any of the names. They are all beautiful!

April said...

Hey Guys! I ran across your blog while I was searching other Mississippi bloggers. I love love love all your baby names...especially Webb! Mike and I have been praying for your little one.


Beautiful photos!

The Crain Family said...

HHMMMM, I am just not sure. I will have to think about this......

Lisa Biglane said...

My vote is for Samuel Aden Mallette! I love your reasons for choosing this name (biblical reference,ect.) And I liked the sound of this name best when I did my "how does it sound" tests of all your names.

Test 1: Mom means business because she is using my first and last name test. "Sam Mallette, you come here to me NOW," sounds great!

Test 2: Name stated at sporting events test. "Sam Mallette, in on the tackle," has a great ring to it! I can't wear to hear it over the Vaught Hemingway loudspeakers!

beth said...

I like Samuel Aden---but I like ALL the names

Peggy Yarbrough said...

Love the name! Now I can pray for him by name! And maybe I have figured out how to use this blog!